Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Stinky Mink and Flies

Warm weather is returning, and so are the flies. I hate to think of the mink smell that will soon be gracing our neighborhood. So today, I did some homework and gave the health department a call (I think a few neighbors already have). Here's what you can expect if you call...

First, I called the general health department line, but the phone tree is a mess and hung up on me twice. I ended up calling 253-798-6440, which is the rodents/garbage/illegal dumping line. From the first menu, I pressed "2" for garbage/illegal dumping. At the second menu, I pressed "1" for junk vehicles and accumulation of garbage on private property (from the options, it best suited the nature of my complaint, I guess). This led me to a series of prompts where I left short recordings with my information.

They don't process anonymous complaints, so be prepared to leave your name, address and phone number.

They will ask for the specific address of the property, which is 23212 86th Ave E, Graham 98338. They will ask for the property owner's name, which is Dale Pederson/United Farms Inc (sorry to put your info on here Dale, but if you'd clean up your disgusting stinky farm, we wouldn't be having to do this). It will ask for the parcel number, which is 2009409975.

It took less than 5 minutes. I hate to pester the health department but if they receive numerous complaints, perhaps they'll realize the seriousness of the issue and take care of it. Several of us complained last year and we heard the health department told them to clean up, but who knows if the farm is complying?

And just for the heck of it, here's a small amount of info on the mink farm, aka United Farms Inc: http://www.manta.com/company/mm2ft8j

-M

2 comments:

Shawn & Crystal said...

I called the Pierce County Health Department on Monday and was told that the WSU annex deals with any pest or insect complaints.(I was calling about the unhealthy amount of flies we have had.) I spoke to Carrie @ the Pierce County WSU AG annex her number is 253-798-FARM. She said she would look into the problem and get back to me. If I hear anything I will be sure to share it.

Mandy said...

The health department sent me a letter of confirmation today regarding the stench issue from the farm. It gave me a contact person and case number so I can follow up on the status. I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens.

Shawn & Crystal, thanks for making that phone call and for letting us know what you learned! :)