Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bus Stop Behavior

This morning, a few of our fellow Grand Firs neighbors might have received a prank call from the gate call box this morning. As I was driving out the gate I spotted 5 or so ELEMENTARY-aged children banging on the buttons and calling people (I'm assuming by scrolling down the directory). As I pulled out the gate, I asked that they "knock it off". Unless we want to start getting early morning prank calls from the kids waiting for their bus in the morning, we should probably inform our kids that playing with anything that involves the call box and gate is never okay. And if you happen to be a parent waiting at the bus stop, and you see this type of behavior, please don't look the other way. I'm well aware that having to correct other people's children is never pleasant, but you could potentially be stopping any future vandalism and unnecessary nuisances in the neighborhood.

If you know your kids ride the bus, it might be a good idea to just remind them of what type of behavior they should be displaying at our bus stop.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Aaah! Now I know who was prank calling my house! A few times last week someone was calling my house around 4-4:30 and I heard kids laughing in the background. They kept calling over and over. So Annoying. We live in phase 3 so the kids are also doing it on the back gate.

Mandy said...

Thanks for the post Jen! And thank you for speaking to the children involved.

I received a "wake-up" call this morning that I wasn't very pleased about. My answering machine picked up a 30-second conversation and I could hear several kids talking/laughing (including an f-bomb, which I found disturbing). If I didn't have a baby sleeping upstairs, I definitely would have headed right out there to find out who was responsible.

Just an FYI: if the callbox is damaged by kids, the HOA can and will hold their parents responsible. That box costs thousands of dollars.

Unknown said...

Mandy . . . was that around 6:45am or 8:00?

Your Neighbors said...

Joel, to answer your question...time frame was between 8A.M. and 8:30 A.M. at the north gate entrance. Mandy got her phone call and voicemail message at 8:15.

Your Neighbors said...

Sara...just wondering if your phone calls were morning or afternoon ones?

Unknown said...

Ok. Thanks. I've encouraged my wife to keep an eye on that going forward. She is there almost every morning during that time frame.

Tricia Garber said...

Just an idea. If these kids are students at Graham Elementary, we use the following language: "expected", for what we should do and "unexpected" for doing things that we should not do.
If an adult said this to these kids they would have heard these terms before and it would be familiar to them. Just a thought:)