Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Burglaries in the Graham Area

Please read the following email that was sent to me from our neighbor Orlando:

Last night at about 0300 a burglar attempted to rob my house in Winterwood, Graham (co-located in the South Hill area, Puyallup). My dog alerted me, I rushed downstairs, checked inside and out, but did not see anything out of the ordinary at the time. I just figured the dog may have had a nightmare, or simply heard something that I did not. We went back to sleep.

This morning my wife called me and said that the living room sliding window was open about a half an inch behind the blinds. When she further inspected outside she noticed the screen was completely gone. The screen was found in my neighbor's yard (over the fence). I told my wife to have the cops come by and file a report.

The police officer told my wife that there have been string of burglaries (18+) in our area and the South Hill region in general. The 3 streets (in our new development alone) had all been hit last night between 0100 and 0400. I believe the officer said that they had at least 4-6 other related burglary calls. The officer went on to say that these people are very good and bold. The police have reports that burglars are bold enough to even hit rooms with occupants sleeping.

We were fortunate that our dog alerted me last night (I owe him a T-bone). We could have lost some valuable items. I share this obviously to create awareness for anyone who lives in this area and also to help remind people, not to get complacent when it comes to home security. Be aware where you keep valuables and high dollar items.

1 comment:

Lorne said...

A cheap and easy way to deter burglars is to get a home security sign in front of the house. You don't actually have to get the system. Most of the times that will make them think twice. Also, what I have done for my house before getting a security system was that I purchased cyclindrical shaped wood cut exactly to the length where the window slides when you open it. It makes it almost impossible to open from the outside. It sounds a little crazy to do such things but it's piece of mind. I hope this helps.